Founded in 1964, Shoreline Community College is renowned for providing a high quality education and helping students achieve their dreams.
Founded in 1964, Shoreline Community College is a public accredited college located in Seattle, Washington. Shoreline has a strikingly beautiful campus and is surrounded by some of the most spectacular natural scenery in America. Seattle is one of the fastest-growing port cities in the U.S and home to major world-class companies such as Amazon, Boeing, Microsoft and Starbucks.
Shoreline Community College understands that studying abroad is difficult for students. Shoreline’s instructors and staffs are ready to support students with the intension to promote their success. Start with Shoreline then transfer to University of Washington, Cornell University, UCLA, University of California, Berkeley, and many more.
Why Shoreline Community College?
- High university transfer rate (especially to University of Washington, Seattle)
- Shoreline is located in a residential suburb of Seattle where it is peaceful, suitable for learning and close to facilities.
- Shoreline has an appropriate amount of experienced academic advisors for international students
- American Honors Program available for students who would like to profoundly research their interested topic under instructor’s support and supervision
- High School Completion program available for students who are 16 years of age and have not graduated high school (study 2 years to graduate high school and associate degree)
- No TOEFL requirement!
- Kanpong Thaweesuk, founder of KorPunGun, have graduated and worked at Shoreline
Shoreline Community College (SCC) is located north of Seattle, Washington, in the northwest of America, close to the Pacific Ocean. It is a region widely recognized as having the most beautiful scenery in America, and is about 2 hours from Vancouver, Canada. The Seattle area is home to world’s largest companies such as Microsoft, Adobe, Amgen, Boeing, Starbucks, Tully’s, and Harbourview Medical Center.
SCC is a safe, peaceful college in the suburban area of Seattle, which has a great environment for education.
Program of Studies
2+2 University Transfer Program
In general, students who want to complete Bachelor’s degree in America must study for 4 years or have completed 180 credits. To graduate Bachelor’s degree in America, students have 2 options:
- Study in a university or college for 4 years, or,
- Study at Shoreline Community College for 2 years, transfer credits to a university of your own choice and study for 2 more years to graduate with a Bachelor’s degree. (More than 50% of American students chose this option)
Generally, the first 2 years in both community colleges and universities are similar. Students must study fundamental courses for 90 credits from different fields including:
- General Educational Development e.g. English or Math
- Humanities e.g. Arts, Communications, Music or Languages
- Social Science e.g.Business, History, Economics, Psychology or Politics
- Natural Science e.g. Biology, Chemistry or Physics
- Pre-major courses e.g. Business majored students must enroll for Accounting and Business Law
Therefore, after graduating from Shoreline Community College, students can transfer directly into a university. While studying, students will have a personal Academic Advisor who will make sure every course students have enrolled are appropriate and transferable to the university of their choices.
Shoreline Community College Courses
Examples of conditional admission letters to universities/colleges for 4 years after graduating from Shoreline Community College
Remark: these letters are only examples, some details may have already been updated. Students will receive the updated version from their advisors when they are planning for university transitions.
Where have Shoreline’s Alumni Transferred to?
5 most popular transfer destinations of Shoreline Community College students
- University of Southern California (USC)
- UC Berkeley
- Cal Poly-Pomona
- Boston University
- University of Oregon
- University of Washington
- Michigan State University
- University of Michigan
- New York University
- Texas A&M
- University of Texas-Austin
- Indiana University
- Seattle University
- Cornell University
2. High School Completion Program
Students who have not graduated high school can apply for High School Completion Program to study high school along with college degree. Because most of the courses students must enroll can be use to graduate associate degree and Bachelor’s degree, they can graduate with an associate degree and a high school degree at the same time. After graduating from this program, students will obtain a high school degree approved by the government of Washington State.
For this program, students should:
- Have academic strength
- Have completed secondary education
- Be at least 16 years of age
3. English as a Second Language Program (ESL)
There are 5 levels of language studies for international students (ESL) at Shoreline Community College. Upon their arrival at the college, students must take a language proficiency test (for example, English Placement Test) and will be taught at a level that is suitable for each student.
Students in these levels must study according to the English course designed by Shoreline Community College for 15 hours per week. The course covers Writing, Speaking, Listening and Grammar. Students can register for college classes as soon as they reach the Bridge (if they want to). The advantage of language training is students can have better fundamental language skills which will help them study better in college level.
Shoreline has a Language Lab where students can learn more by themselves from media, videos and a program specially created to support in-class lessons. A 1:1 tutor for reading and writing is available for free at Writing and Learning Studio. Tutors of other courses are available at Learning Support Centers.
Shoreline’s ESL is suitable for
- Students who would like to improve their English skills in everyday life
- Students who would like to study college degree at Shoreline Community College : after their last ESL level, students can immediately continue their college degree.
4. Certificate Program
Earn certificates to improve knowledge, skills and experiences in interested fields for specific careers. After graduating, students will receive approving certificate and could join an internship in America for 1 year.
Scholarship Application for New International Students
- Free Express Mailing fee $35 USD
- New Student Scholarship
Deducted from tuition fee: $500 – $1,000 USD
Does not have to apply for scholarship : automatically considered by the college
The most popular option for Shoreline’s new international students are to live with American families in residential areas or Homestay. They are friendly and know the ways around the resident, therefore, they can be of help in many aspects.
However, many students chose to share accommodations with other students or rent a private apartment.
Apartments near Shoreline
- Echo Lake Apartment
- Linden Square
- Linden Highlands Apartment
- Nelson Apartment
New! On-Campus Housing
The on-campus accommodation will be open in Fall 2019. It is located at the heart of the college covering 83 acres. There are 68 units, 216 sharable rooms where students can choose between 4 beds, 2 beds or a studio room. Rooms are furnished with beds, vanities, desks, living rooms and kitchens for students to live together in a safe and education supporting environment at Shoreline.
Accommodation facilities: kitchen, living room, public laundry, high speed internet, 24-hour security system, main lobby for relaxation and education, office of Resident Advisor (RA) and rooms for meetings and events.
For more information, click here
Go on a 360° tour here
Shoreline’s tuition fee is less expensive than most universities with an average of 50-70%.
For Shoreline’s homestay cost, click here.
- Students can make payments for college and accommodation fees directly to the college at normal rates without having to pay via KorPunGun. *Can be paid semesterly.
- Costs listed above are approximated. No pocket money is included and the exchange rate is changeable.
- For a more updated and precise cost information, please contact KorPunGun.
How to Apply for Shoreline?
- Fill in Shoreline’s application form
- Bank certificate (showing no lesser than $26,000)
- Application fee $50 USD
- Express Mailing fee $35 (optional)
- Copy of current passport (only the page with student’s photo)
- English transcript of student’s highest level of education
- English high school certificate (if student have graduated high school)
- Fill in accommodation application form (optional)
Shoreline does not require TOEFL/IELTS
If students does not have TOEFL/IELTS score, they must take a language proficiency test upon arrival. Students will be put to study at their appropriate levels. The suitability between language skills and registered course is very essential because it will help students perform better. It is even more important when students apply to universities with high admission rates.
Students who would like to take a proficiency test to evaluate their English skills in order to apply for Shoreline Community College, the score will be divided as such:
1) Full-time Enrollment
- TOEFL IBT 72 (Writing 21+) or
- IELTS 5.5 (Writing 6.0+)
2) To surpass ESL levels and collect college credits along with English for Academic Purposes (EAP)
- TOEFL IBT 54
- IELTS 5.0 (Writing 5.0+)
*More details for Shoreline’s Mathematics and English score, click here