Green River College provides two-year associate degree and certificate programs in more than 75 subjects. Located in a park-like environment filled with tall trees. The neighbourhood is friendly and peaceful, an ideal place for education.
Green River College is located in the city of Auburn, Southern Seattle, Washington State which is in the northwest of America, close to the Pacific Ocean. It is a region widely recognized as having the most beautiful scenery in America, and is about 2 hours from Vancouver, Canada. The Seattle area is home to world’s largest companies such as Microsoft, Adobe, Amgen, Boeing, Starbucks, Tully’s, and Harbourview Medical Center.
- On-campus accommodation
- Comprehensive services for international students
- Innovative Science and Technology Center
- Simulated aircraft center for Aviation program
- KGRG radio run by students
- Natural environment around campus
- Aviation and Gap Year (U.S.A, New Zealand, Australia) programs available
Program of Studies
1. 2+2 University Transfer Program
2+2 Program is a pathway to American universities. Students will study at Green River College for 2 years, plan their college credit transitions to the university of their choices under supervision of academic advisors. Courses students must enroll at Green River College are fundamental courses and students’ pre-major courses.
Generally, the first 2 years in both community colleges and universities are similar. Students must study fundamental courses for 90 credits from different fields including:
- General Educational Development e.g. English or Math
- Humanities e.g. Arts, Communications, Music or Languages
- Social Science e.g.Business, History, Economics, Psychology or Politics
- Natural Science e.g. Biology, Chemistry or Physics
- Pre-major courses e.g. Business majored students must enroll for Accounting and Business Law
After completing this program, students will receive an Associate Degree from Green River Community College, they can transfer their credits to a university of their choices, study for 2 more years to graduate with a Bachelor’s degree.
While studying, students will have a personal Academic Advisor who will make sure every course students have enrolled are appropriate and transferable to the university of their choices.
2+2 University Transfer Program at Green River are divided into 10 main subjects as follows:
- Associate in Arts
- Associate in Business Degree
- Associate in Elementary Education
- Associate in Arts in Art
- Associate in Math Education
- Associate in Pre-Nursing Degree
- Associate in Science Transfer Degree Option 1 (Biology, Environmental Science, Chemistry, Geology or Earth Science)
- Associate in Science Transfer Degree Option 2 (Associate in Engineering, Computer Science, Physics or Atmospheric Science)
- Associate in Science Transfer Degree Option 2/ Major Related Program (Associate in Mechanical, Civil, Aeronautical, Industrial or Materials Science Pre-Engineering)
- Associate in Science Transfer Degree Option 2/ Major Related Program (Associate in Bioengineering and Chemical Pre-Engineering)
Green River Community College Courses
Examples of conditional admission letters to universities/colleges for 4 years after graduating from Green River Community College
Remark: these letters are only examples, some details may have already been updated. Students will receive the updated version from their advisors when they are planning for university transitions.
Where have Green River’s Alumni Transferred to?
- University of Southern California (USC)
- UC Berkeley
- Cal Poly-Pomona
- Boston University
- University of Oregon
- University of Washington
- Michigan State University
- University of Michigan
- New York University
- Texas A&M
- University of Texas-Austin
- Indiana University
- Seattle University
- Cornell University
2. High School Completion Plus
Students who have not graduated high school can apply for High School Completion Plus to study high school along with college degree. Because most of the courses students must enroll can be use to graduate associate degree and Bachelor’s degree, they can graduate with an associate degree and a high school degree at the same time. After graduating from this program, students will obtain a high school degree approved by the government of Washington State.
- TOEFL IBT 61, CBT 173, PBT 500 or IELTS 5.5
- Be at least 16 years old
- Have not completed high school
3. English as a Second Language Program (ESL)
English Program for University and Academic Preparation
Green River has a language program for international students who would like to prepare their English skills to study in college level or American universities. The college has small classrooms where instructors can pay full attention to students. Students will be able to study and improve their English skills quickly under English speaking environment.
Study English Near Seattle, Washington to Prepare for Transfer to American Universities
When registered for higher levels of English courses, students will be allowed to register for college level courses. The majority of Green River students in this program continue studying their 1st and 2nd year at Green River, then transfer to a university for their 3rd and 4th year to graduate Bachelor’s degree. Green River students have successfully transferred to University of Washington, University of Southern California, Purdue University, University of Michigan, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, and many universities in the U.S.
Learn Important Skills
Students studying ESL will learn important skills that will prepare them for academic, college level courses including:
- English skills (Grammar, Writing, Reading, Speaking)
- Academic skills (Writing, Presentation, Research and Annotation)
- Study skills (Management, Group working, Self evaluation)
- Culture skills (Relationships with international friends, learn and understand American lifestyle by observing and analyzing, learn to use educational support services in the college and the community)
- 20 hours of teaching per week : 4 hours per day, 4-5 days per week
- Divided into 5 levels from beginners to academics. Each level takes 1 semester or 3 months to complete
- ESL covers Grammar, Reading, Writing, Listening, Reading and TOEFL preparation
- Green River College offers TOEFL PBT exam every semester
Small Classes and Highly Qualified English Instructors
Instructors at Green River are experienced in teaching English and living abroad. Green River also offers language support services including:
- Free Tutor
- Advisors that will help with your study plan, registration, accommodation and cultural adjustment
- Inside and outside activities for Green River students
- Computer Lab
This course is suitable for:
- Students who would like to improve their English skills in everyday life
- Students who would like to study college degree at Green River College : after their last ESL level, students can immediately continue their college degree.
4. Gap Year Program [10 months in 3 countries]
Green River’s Gap Year (U.S.A) to Australia/New Zealand is a 10-month (September-June) program for students to study and gain experiences in the United States of America, Australia and New Zealand. Students will spend their first 3 months at Green River (September-December). Spend 10 weeks in Australia and New Zealand (January-March), and come back to Green River for the last 3 months of the program.
5. Certificate Program
Earn certificates to improve knowledge, skills and experiences in interested fields for specific careers. After graduating, students will receive approving certificate and could join an internship in America for at least 1 year.
Green River international students can take an online English proficiency test instead of using IELTS or TOEFL scores. If the score meets the requirements, students can immediately start academic courses.
Green River College English proficiency test details and advantages:
- Exam is free of charge
- Can be taken online
- Exam takes 1 hour
- Consists of 4 parts, 100 questions
- Students will receive the exam results as soon as they finished the exam
- Online exam can only be done once. Students can retake the exam on the orientation day at Green River. Green River will be using higher scores for IESL Program students.
- Students can use the results to decide which level of English to study and for how long.
- For students who are confident with their English level without ever having an IELTS or TOEFL test and never attended high school, if the exam result exceeds 85%, they can immediately start academic level courses.
- Exams need to be conducted through Green River’s agency in student’s home country.
Green River’s tuition fee is less expensive than most universities with an average of 50-70%.
GRC Tuition Fees – http://www.greenriver.edu/student-affairs/apply-now/tuition-and-fees.htm
- Students can make payments for college and accommodation fees directly to the college at normal rates without having to pay via KorPunGun. *Can be paid semesterly.
- Costs listed above are approximated. No pocket money is included and the exchange rate is changeable.
- For a more updated and precise cost information, please contact KorPunGun.
1. Campus Apartment
Students who are 17 or older can stay at Green River’s Campus Apartment
Green River Apartment Cost
Staying with American families will help students experience American lifestyles and will help them improve their English skills. Host families will prepare meals and eat together with the students. For Green River’s homestay, students will also receive services as follows:
- Airport greetings and pickup
- College tour
- Open a bank account and make state ID cards
- Help travel from home to college
Green River’s detailed Calendar – Link
Green River College Admission
- Green River’s application form
- Bank certificate (showing no lesser than $26,000)
- Application fee $50 USD
- Copy of current passport
- High school certificate (if student have graduated high school)
- Fill in accommodation application form (optional)
- TOEFL/IELTS score
+ TOEFL 61/173/500, IELTS 5.5, no band lower than 5.0
+ No TOEFL or IELTS requirement for language training course
*Check Green River’s application deadline here – Link